top of page

Gatz: Turnpike plan must press forward, despite opposition

The Journal Record By: Kathryn McNutt March 22, 2023

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority must push ahead with a proposed turnpike extension through Norman despite pending litigation, public opposition and an audit, Oklahoma Secretary of Transportation Tim Gatz said Wednesday. All the pushback doesn’t diminish the need to complete the metro’s outer loop to move traffic safely and efficiently as the population continues to grow, Gatz said during a lunchtime forum hosted by the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber. The U.S. Census Bureau reported the “phenomenal growth” of 109,000 people in Oklahoma from 2020 to 2023, he said. “We’re going to continue to see that growth,” he said. “You’ve got to have reliever routes to manage that traffic.” Gatz is executive director of both the OTA and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. He opened his remarks by saying the OTA is doing “everything we can to alleviate any concerns the attorney general has” and to work with State Auditor and Inspector Cindy Byrd. Last week, Oklahoma Attorney General Gentner Drummond requested an investigative audit of the OTA, citing concerns about its financial conduct that came from legislators, community leaders, residents and state employees. Drummond said the complaints include improper transfers between the OTA and ODOT; improper contracting and purchasing practices; and inadequate internal financial controls.


View the full article: JournalRecord.com

 
 
 

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Trust-Logo-Orange.png

TRANSPORTATION REVENUES USED STRICTLY FOR TRANSPORTATION

CONTACT US

P.O. Box 16112

Oklahoma City, OK 73113

FIND US ON

Membership Director

Helra Han

helrahan@gmail.com

(405) 802-8184

MAILING ADDRESS

© 2026 Restore T.R.U.S.T. All Rights Reserved.
bottom of page